SWAN makes participating in local actions & events simple for suburban women by coordinating carpools, creating meet-up locations and communicating easy to follow information. If you would like to JOIN US for a specific event, email us!
ACTIONS & EVENTS
- January 16 5:30-7:30pm Impact Makers To Watch Recognition Ceremony. Los Angeles City Hall. Darlynn & Danielle are honored to be recognized this year for the work we are doing with SWAN. This is a celebration of SWAN and the collective work we have done in partnership with CAUSE, MICOP, Indivisible: Conejo, SURJ and other local groups.
- January 17 3pm Sign-Making Party at Create Studio. Get ready for the Women's March!
- January 20 9-1 WOMEN'S MARCH LOS ANGELES. Join over 150 SWAN activists from the Conejo Valley as we take to the streets of downtown Los Angeles to march FOR social justice and equality.
- January 23 7pm SWAN Monthly Forum Part I on our quarterly focus of Mass Incarceration and Criminal Justice Reform. Darlynn facilitates a discussion around the historical framework and current trends in the criminal justice system.
- December 3 11:30am SWAN Holiday/Anniversary Brunch at Cafe Bizou in Agoura Hills
- December 5 10:30 am SWAN Field Trip: CA African American Museum
- December 13 3pm SWAN/Westminster Free Clinic Holiday Giving. Toy drive sponsored by SWAN. Volunteer to donate over 400 toys and distribute them at WFC.
- November 7 4pm TrumpTaxScam Protest at Congressman Steve Knight's office in Simi Valley
- November 8 4pm Conejo Valley against the Trump Tax Scam Rally at the corner of Westlake Blvd & Thousand Oaks Blvd.
- November 14 7pm SWAN Monthly Forum - Part III of our quarterly focus on white privilege & systemic racism as we discuss being white allies and strategies/actions we can take in our own lives.
- November 15 3pm "A Year of Activism" Panel at CSUN School Of Journalism. Darlynn will share SWAN's story and the work we do.
- November 30 7pm SWAN Book Club "White Like Me" by Tim Wise.
- October 2 6pm Candlelight Vigil for Victims of Gun Violence. Corner of Westlake and Thousand Oaks Blvd.
- October 5 7:30 SWAN Book Club "Between the World and Me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- October 17 SWAN Forum Part II of our quarterly focus on White Privilege. We explore the historical elements that have led to systemic white supremacy - from the GI Bill, to redlining communities, to the rise of mass incarceration.
- October 19 SWAN San Fernando Valley Fundraiser for Valley Community Healthcare
- October 20 7pm SWAN Movie Night; Screening and discussion of "13th" Ava DuVernay's documentary that explores the intersection of race, justice and mass incarceration in the United States".
- September 1 7pm DACA Rally at Plaza Park in Oxnard
- September 4, 9am-1pm Labor Day Harvest Festival at Abundant Table Farm 1012 W. Ventura Blvd., Camarillo People from diverse faith traditions will join together to harvest fresh vegetables for local food pantries.
- September 6, 6-7 pm Westminster Free Clinic Tour, 1000 E. Janss Rd. Thousand Oaks The Westminster Free Clinic (WFC), founded in 1994, is a grassroots health care provider that is driven and empowered by volunteers. It offers basic non-invasive health care, at or near locations where large numbers of uninsured people live or are marginally housed. Join SWAN for a private tour while the clinic is in full gear, including the diabetic specialty clinic.
- September 10, 1:30-4pm Interfaith Solidarity March Encino As a symbol of solidarity and unity with our marginalized communities, neighbors and colleagues, SWAN joins this unity march.
- September 14 Puente Power Plant Hearing; Clean Air for Oxnard rally. Oxnard Performing Arts Center
- September 19 7-8:30pm SWAN Monthly Forum, Exploring White Privilege. A conversation about race.
- September 23 1-3 Ventura County rally to SAVE THE ACA with special guest Congresswoman Julia Brownley
- September 28 3-5pm Ventura Beach Marriott, Ventura CAUSE fundraiser with legendary Civil Rights Non-Violent Resistance Trainer and Leader, Rev. Jim Lawson.
- August 15, 6:30-8:30pm Lessons Learned From Standing Rock at CLU Lundring Center, Thousand Oaks SWAN and Indivisible: Conejo are co-sponsoring this slideshow and conversation with Atta Stevenson, principal advisor for Frontline Wellness United and former president of the California Inter-Tribal Council.
- August 17, 7-8:30pm SWAN Book Club at Stonehaus, Westlake Village The book is Dark Money by Jane Mayer.
- August 19, 11-6 Ventura PRIDE Festival at Promenade Park, Ventura
- August 29, 9-10:30 AM SWAN Monthly Forum at Create Studio, Westlake Village. SWAN hosts Deborah Madden, an attorney and healthcare reform advocate who will present an overview of the US healthcare system, which lays out the case for how Medicare For All would save lives and dollars.
- August 16, 4:30-6:30pm Volunteer for Backpack Distribution at Westminster Free Clinic, 1000 E. Janss Rd. Thousand Oaks
- July 15, 9:30-11:30 SWAN presents at the Democratic Women's Council of the Conejo Valley. Boccacio's in Westlake Village
- July 18, 7-8:30pm SWAN monthly forum on SB562, the Healthy California Act. Create Studio in Westlake Village.
- July 23 6-9 Julius Caesar at Cal Lutheran
- July 25, 5-6 Emergency Health Care Rally. Corner of Thousand Oaks/Westlake Blvd
- July 26, 5-8pm Clean Air For Oxnard Hearing. Oxnard Performing Arts Center
- June 2, 5-6pm Gun Violence Prevention Rally at the NE corner of Westlake Blvd & Thousand Oaks. Wear orange!
- June 8, 7pm SWAN book club at Stonehaus in Westlake Village. Wine and lively discussion about Gloria Steinem's "My Life on the Road"
- June 11, 8am-2pm SWAN at Resist March at the LA Pride festival. Meet at Park N Ride at 7:15am.
- June 13, 7pm SWAN voter registration training 7pm Agoura Hills
- June 20, 1:30pm Naturalization Ceremony at the Pasadena Convention Center. Carpool from Westlake Village Target at 12:00. Join us in congratulating & welcoming 1500 new citizens and registering new voters.
- June 24-25 8:30am to 5:30pm The Power Of Organizing Workshop $20
We will attend this workshop together in order to strengthen SWAN and grow our skills. Over the course of this two-day workshop, we will develop practical tools in the foundational work of organizing: defining goals, and developing and executing the strategies to achieve them. Though we will focus on the organizing landscape over the next eighteen months, introducing the timeline and tactics necessary to build power for the midterms, the weekend will close with eyes far into the future, as we begin to envision the world we want to see. www.WesternOrganizingWorkshop.org
Downtown LA, Los Angeles Trade Tech College
- May 1, 12-2pm May Day March in Oxnard.
- May 16, 7-8:30pm SWAN May Forum with MICOP. Create Studio in Westlake Village
- May 24, 7-8:30pm SWAN Meet & Greet with Katie Hill who is running for Congress in the 25th district against Steve Knight.
- May 31, 4-6 pm SB54 Rally at Jacqui Irwin's office. Camarillo. Meet at Westlake Village Target at 3:30 to carpool.
- Sunday 4/2 10-2 Oxnard Cesar Chavez Day March Meet at the Westlake Village Target at 9:15 to carpool to the march, or find our SWAN sign.
- Tuesday 4/18 9am SWAN April Forum with CAUSE at Create Studio in Westlake Village
- Saturday 4/22 9am-2pm March For Science - Downtown. Meet at 7:45for rally bus, or meet in front of Last Bookstore at 9:15 am. BOOK THE BUS! Reserve your spot on the rally bus - $25 per person.
- Thursday 4/27 7pm SWAN Book Club - Discuss Hillbilly Elegy at Stonehouse in Westlake Village
- Saturday 4/19 8:30-12 Yes She Can Run training, Hosted by Ventura County Women's Political Council. Meet at WLV Target at 7:45 to carpool
- Make Oxnard A Safe City rally - Tuesday March 7 5-7pm, Oxnard City Hall
- Day Without A Woman rally - Wednesday March 8, 4-7pm, Corner of Topanga & Ventura Blvds
- Anti-Propaganda Protest - Sunday March 12, 1-4pm, Breitbart LA Office Brentwood
- Ted Lieu Meeting with Progressive Democrats - Monday March 13 7pm, The Mermaid, Topanga
- Ted Lieu Meeting with Democrats of the Conejo Valley - Saturday March 18 9-11am in Westlake Village
- Welcoming the Stranger Potluck - Sunday March 19, 5-7pm at LDS Chapel, Thousand Oaks
- SWAN March Forum - Tuesday March 21, 7pm at Create Studio, Westlake Village
- SWAN Field Trip to the Museum of Ventura County; A Woman's Place Exhibit - Thursday March 23, 11-2, Ventura
- ACA Rally - Thursday March 23, 5-6pm at Los Robles Hospital
- Unity In The Community: Resist Hate - Sunday March 26 11-2, Mae Boyer Park in Oak Park
- Stand With Muslim Unity Event - Sunday February 5, 1pm at Islamic Center of Conejo Valley
- Rally for the ACA at Steve Knights office - Tuesday February 7 11am in Simi Valley
- We Stand With Immigrants March - Saturday February 18, 11am at Pershing Square, Downtown LA
- SWAN February Forum - Tuesday February 21, 9am at Create Studio, Westlake Village
- Planned Parenthood Rally - Friday February 24 11am-1pm in Ventura, CA
- End Gun Violence with Mike Feuer, LA City Attorney - Saturday February 25 2pm in Oak Park
- Women's March Los Angeles - Saturday January 21, 9am at Pershing Square, Downtown LA
- Congresswoman Julia Brownley Solidarity Rally - Tuesday January 24 at Thousand Oaks office